I learned so many things from this week's assignment! Lesson #1 - Have a willing model
Do you know any 17 year old boys? You know, the ones who are somewhere between boyhood and manhood and are absorbed in their own lives. This is a normal state for many teenagers, I know. (Love this boy - my oldest grandson - he and his 15 year old brother live with us) But he DID reluctantly agree to be my model...and I reminded him that we really need to get those senior photos done...so I made a written plan, chose a great location, got some props and changes of clothing ready and we took off. He was distracted; he was embarrassed when he saw that some people we didn't know were at the place we went for the shoot; he thought we were taking too long; he thought some of my ideas were "lame"; I got flustered; he got frustrated. We used only a few ideas from my shot list. We went home. I downloaded the pictures. It was not the great experience I had anticipated.
THE PLAN
Lesson #2 - Spend some time learning how to use editing software
I think it was Brooke who told me that all the shots we see from pros are edited. I just got Photoshop Elements 9 but haven't learned how to use it yet so am editing in iPhoto only. Shots SOOC can be good but mine are usually not the beautiful and compelling photos I envision in my head. From this shoot: I am embarrassed to admit that because I got flustered, I THOUGHT I had changed the ISO setting but hadn't completed the action...some editing could help these shots I'm sure but next time I'll make sure the ISO is set where I intend it to be!
I like the sunburst, but the picture is way too grainy.
This is the oh-so-typical shot...lol
- Just to be fair I have to say that he has agreed to another shoot for his senior pictures. Yay!
Lesson #3 - "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
I decided to try a different approach at the Campbell's annual Easter Egg Hunt. The shoot would be planned, but not rigid; it would be casual, catching real-life moments; it would be focused on the youngest children. I wanted to capture some cute little faces and some family interactions.
Love these big, blue eyes.
This Dad absolutely adores his two little girls.
Brooke, I think these shots are ok, what can I do to make them awesome?
Lesson #4 - Fear vs. Faith
When I look at the absolutely stunning photos on some people's blogs I tend to get paralyzed with fear that I'll never, ever be that good. It's like a wave that crashes over me shattering my confidence to near nothingness. It's then that I have to pull back, take a breath, and realize that I must have faith in myself; I must have patience in the learning process and I have to put in the work to practice, practice, practice. Sometimes I get inspiration through music. During a fearful moment this week a Rogers and Hammerstein song from The Sound of Music began running through my head.
"I've always longed for adventure
To do the things I've never dared
Now here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared?...
To do the things I've never dared
Now here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared?...
I must stop all these doubts
All these worries
If I don't I just know I'll turn back
I must dream of the things I am seeking
I am seeking the courage I lack...
With each step I am more certain
Everything will turn out fine
I have confidence the world can all be mine
They'll have to agree I have confidence in me...
All I trust I give my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone
Besides which you see I have confidence
In me!!
All these worries
If I don't I just know I'll turn back
I must dream of the things I am seeking
I am seeking the courage I lack...
With each step I am more certain
Everything will turn out fine
I have confidence the world can all be mine
They'll have to agree I have confidence in me...
All I trust I give my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone
Besides which you see I have confidence
In me!!
Lesson # 5 - Enjoy the Journey
Even though I am so far behind so many other people in my photographic understanding and skills, I am ahead of many other people and I am excited to encourage them to start their own journey. My time line is my own and I am learning here a little and there a little. With each new discovery or insight I gain more skill and understanding. It's an exciting adventure!


You are wonderful!!!! Love the pics! Love you more!!!
ReplyDeleteI really really like that picture of the little girl with the yellow flower in her hair - you have great soft lighting and the exposure is fantastic, and you really captured an innocent look to her - LOVE!
ReplyDeleteI love understanding your adventure and totally understand the "getting flustered" feeling and looking at others people's work and feeling a bit crushed by the beauty of their shots and the distance it seems I need to cover. I love the shot of your grandson looking at his phone! Isn't that how all teenagers look!! I had to laugh :) I also love the connection of the dad and daughter, it is really beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThis is Marilyn, how do I get it to say my name with my post and not "margwilli"?
ReplyDeletehaha! I have one of those 17 year old boys! I loved reading your lessons and experiences...You are so cute! I think you ended up ROCKIN those shots at the Easter egg hunt! Seriously...You got beautiful real moments! Really Great job!
ReplyDeleteI haven't really done a photo shoot for a teenage boy yet but I can imagine the challenge they can be. Looks like you put in a lot of time and preparation. Good job! I love the picture of the dad and his daughter. What a cherished moment!
ReplyDeleteLove the cell phone one! Totally is a typical 17 year old. And that one of the blonde little girl is ADORABLE.
ReplyDelete